Do you aware that we can actually waive the credit card late payment charges? I wasn't aware of this until one day the bank officer called me to remind me that my credit card payment was due. So, I just simply tried my luck and asked him:
Me: I have no idea the payment was due because I have not received any credit card statement in my letter box. Is there a way I can waive my penalty fees?
Bank Officer: Yes, you can waive the credit card late payment fees. Once you receive the statement, you can just give us a call to waive it.
Wow! What a surprise? I think I have been all the while paying these fees due to the following careless reasons:
- Forgot to make payment on time.
- Never received the credit card statement.
- Pay the wrong amount – less than the actual amount that I should pay.
Steps to Waive Your Credit Card Late Payment Charges
- Once you receive the statement, give them a call. The phone number is usually at the back of your credit card if you're not aware of it.
- Tell them that you want to waive your late payment charges. If they don't allow, tell them that you're going to use other credit cards and would like to cancel this credit card.
I think they will only do this only if you have good track record and I'm using the HSBC credit card. I believe other banks should the same as well or else you can just tell them you would like to cancel the card. Hope this helps. :)
p/s: I wonder if I should call them to waive those charges and fees that I have paid in few months back. Maybe I should?