Sunday, January 13, 2008

What is Your Definition of Success?

The definition of success is really a very subjective thing. No one in this world other than yourself can define the success of your life. Does success mean:

  1. Make more money?
  2. Gaining a sense of inner peace or happiness and a feeling of self worth?
  3. Balancing work, family, time, money and wisdom?

You may think success is to achieve your goal but I have different thought. In my opinion, success is a journey, not a destination. Achieving a goal is a destination. To reach the highest that’s within us and give the best we have during the journey towards achieving your goal is success. This is my definition of success.

Let’s look the following quote how these famous people define success:

"I don’t know the key to success, but the key to failure is trying to please everybody." by Bill Cosby

If you don’t know the key to success, it is still okay but you must know the key to failure which is trying to please everybody. In real life, you can’t please everyone no matter you are in business or employed. One of the mistakes throughout my journey is to please everyone will eventually end up a great failure. I would say if we could please 70% of people, I will consider it as a success. A great successful person has quite number of haters anyway. Don’t you think so?

"What’s money? A man is a success if he gets up in the morning and goes to bed at night and in between does what he wants to do." by Bob Dylan

Doing what you want to do is a success according Bob Dylan. It looks similar to the way I define millionaire which is to do whatever I want, when I want, where I want and with whomever I want. This can only be done when I achieve financial freedom at the age of 40. Completely freedom is the way to go! :D

"Aim for success, not perfection. Never give up your right to be wrong, because then you will lose the ability to learn new things and move forward with your life." by Dr. David M. Burns

I noticed a lot of people focus on perfection rather than success. The worst part is they don’t allow themselves to be wrong. It either makes them a very defensive person or pessimistic person when something goes wrong. The sad thing is in Asia mind-set, majority of the parents or bosses punish those people who make mistakes and it ends up they don’t learn from their mistakes and take the ignorance approach. A real successful person learns from the mistakes, and not continuing to make the same mistakes again.

"A successful person is the one who can completely focus at the present in any situations." by ChampDog

Yes, this is my definition of success. As I mentioned earlier, success is journey and not destination. We are successful when we reach the highest that is within us and give the best out of ourselves. The only way we can reach the highest that is within us is 100% focus at the present. Focusing at the present sounds simple but especially in bad situation, it is not as easy as you think.

Does my definition of success make sense to you? What is your definition of success?

11 Comments:

Mt. said...

hee hee, what comment was deleted ? :D

thinking success as a journey is not bad but however could dangerously lead into 'excuses' not to reach the 'end'

ChampDog said...

It is a purely advertising comment which is not relevant IMO. :)

Yes, I agree. This is the good one. I would have to remind myself not to use it as an excuse not to reach the goal. It could be very dangerous thing too. :D

My thought is, after you reach your destination, so what? Can I call myself a successful person? Don’t you still want to continue to reach another destination? How many destinations I want to reach can only be considered as successful? You see, it is a continuous process - a journey. You don’t stop even though you reach your ultimate goal. A person who knows how to enjoy and give its 100% during his journey is a successful person. That person will eventually reach his destination. It is just matter of time. Well, everyone has different definition, here is mine. :)

Anonymous said...

I find that setting a goal of success has to be precise and visualizable. Make more money is too brief, to be more precise put down how much you want to earn per month or annum.

ChampDog said...

Yes, I agree. Goals setting needs to be specify and measurable. Specifically we can refer to the SMART model.

I also talk about in my previous post why we need a clear financial goal.

Anonymous said...

Success for me is happy, healthy and live in comfortable life.

Horny Ang Moh said...

R u happy? R u satisfied with u life? If the answer is yes then I can consider that u r successful in life!
He! He! That is my simple definition of success! Have a nice day!

Unknown said...

this is gr8

gajendra suresh kumar said...

Wow Champdog you are one person who knows how keep things simple & precise. Ha ha ha now that also contributes to success and let me add one more.....HAPPINESS.

ChampDog said...

Ya, simple & precise and I"m not sure I'm simple or precise enough or not. Sometimes I do, I sometimes I don't. :)

Happiness could be a very subjective thing as everyone defines differently. So, what is the definition of happiness? If we continue ask this question could it be the end up back to "MONEY" again?

stock market for beginners said...

Success is equivalent to failure because success is not a destination or a goal. Success is the journey and the stepping stones in life, the same as failure.

ChampDog said...

Yes, that's why it had been discussed that we need to be careful of not using it as excuse of not reaching the goal.

Btw, when I looked back at this old post. I quite like the idea of how I define success. Hahaha... Honestly a simple task like focusing at present is not as simple as you may think. Don't you think so?


Didn't find what you want? Use Google Search Engine below: